Aug 25, 2015 / Miscellaneous Topics
New Bike Assembly
This article is a list of recommended procedures necessary for the assembly of a new bike from a bare frame to a completed bike.
- Check frame alignment.
- Check frame and fork dropouts for alignment.
- Install bottom bracket. See cartridge type or adjustable type.
- Install cranks. See either spline type or square spindle type.
- Install pedals.
- Install bars into stem. Snug bar bolts, but do finial adjustment later.
- Install headset. See threadless type, or threaded type.
- Size and install fork into headtube.
- Threadless type - install stem and adjust bearings.
- Threaded type - install front wheel and adjust bearings. Wheel acts as a lever when securing locknut.
- Threaded type headsets: Install stem and bars. Align and secure both stem and bars.
- Threadless type headset bikes- align bars and stem, fully secure both.
- Install rear derailleur.
- Install front derailleur. Set height and rotation, but double check settings after cables installed.
- Install brake and shift levers
- Flat MTB-type bars: install grips and bar ends, if any.
- Dropbar types: do not wrap bars. Wait to wrap bars at end of work to keep tape clean
- Check true of both wheels. Correct as necessary.
- Adjust hub bearings, if adjustable type.
- Install rear cassette cogs or freewheel.
- Install rim strip, tires and tubes on both front and rear wheels.
- Install rear wheel.
- Install front wheel.
- Install brake housing and cables.
- Install and adjust front and rear brakes. See:
- Install derailleur housing and cables.
- Install and size chain.
- Adjust front and rear derailleurs
- Install saddle on seat post
- Install seat post into frame and adjust saddle position. Fully secure saddle rail binder bolt(s) and secure seat post in frame.
- Install reflectors and or lights
- Dropbar-type bikes: wrap handlebars.
- Don helmet and test ride bike. Readjust as necessary.
- After riding the bike, record your riding position. See Road Position, or MTB Position for printable charts.
In this article