Bicycle Assembly Procedures
This article will address the assembly of new bicycles. Proper assembly will prevent future problems and will add to the bikes performance. While there are different systems for assembly possible, it is important to stick to one system and be consistent in how you work. The list below will refer to other relevant web pages.
Assembly of Bare Frame from Parts
- Check frame alignment.
- Check wheel dropouts for alignment
- Install bottom bracket. See cartridge type or adjustable type.
- Install crankarms. See either spline type or square spindle type.
- Install pedals.
- Install bars into stem. Snug bar bolts, but do finial adjustment later.
- Install headset. See threadless type, or threaded type.
- Size and install fork into headtube
- Threadless Type- install stem and adjust bearings
- Threaded Type- install front wheel and adjust bearings. Wheel acts as a lever when securing locknut.
- Thread Type headsets: Install stem and bars. Align and secure both stem and bars.
- Threadless type headset bikes- align bars and stem, fully secure both.
- Install rear derailleur.
- Install front derailleur. Set height and rotation, but double check settings after cables installed.
Install brake and or shift levers
- Flat MTB-type bars, install grips and bar ends, if any.
- Dropbar types, do not wrap bars. Wait to wrap bars at end of work to keep tape clean
- Check true of both wheels. Correct as necessary.
- Adjust hub bearings, if adjustable type.
- Install rear cassettecogs or freewheel.
- Install rim strip, tires and tubes on both front and rear wheels.
- Install rear wheel.
- Install front wheel.
- Install brake housing and inner wires.
Install and adjust front and rear brakes. See:
- Linear Pull type
- Cantilever type
- Dual pivot type
- Install derailleur housing and inner wires.
- Install and size derailleur chain.
- Adjust front and rear derailleurs
- Install saddle on seat post
- Install seat post into frame and adjust saddle position. Fully secure saddle rail binder bolt(s) and secure seat post in frame.
- Install reflectors and or lights
- Dropbar type bikes- wrap handlebars.
- Don helmet and test ride bike. Re-adjust as necessary.
- After riding the bike, record your riding position. See Road Position, or MTB Position