Crank Removal and Installation: Campagnolo® Ultra-Torque™
This article will review removal and installation of Campagnolo® Ultra-Torque™ cranks.
Ultra-Torque™ is a proprietary crankset system used by Campagnolo® and Fulcrum®. With this system, both the left and right crank arms are fitted with one-half of the spindle system, with teeth machined into each spindle end. While Ultra-Torque™ uses external bearing cups, the bearings are not integrated. Instead, the bearings are mounted onto the cranks.
There is a “wavy
washer” in the left side cup. This washer is used to account for variations
in frame shell widths and effectively acts as the “bearing
Bearing service for the Ultra-Torque™ system requires special tooling. For instructions, see our repair help article on Ultra-Torque™ Bearing Service.
- Using needle nose pliers, remove the bearing-retaining clip from the right side bearing adapter.
- Use a long 10mm hex wrench to loosen and remove the crank bolt from the center of the spindle. NOTE: The crank bolt is a normal right hand thread for steel spindle cranks and remove counter-clockwise. For titanium spindles, the bolt is a left-hand thread, and remove clockwise.
- Pull each arm from the bottom bracket.
- Remove the wavy washer from left bearing adapter.
- Install wave washer into left bearing adapter or place wavy washer on left arm.
- Install right arm through right adapter. Align left arm opposite of right arm and install through left bearing adapter.
- Apply grease or anti-seize to threads of crank bolt and install through right side axle center. Use a 10mm hex bit on an extension.
- Secure bolt fully to recommended torque of 372 inch-pounds.
- Install bearing retaining clip to right adapter.